Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Free Knitting Pattern - Headband Ear Warmer (Thick Yarn Version) NEW AND IMPROVED


Headband Earwarmer (Bulky Yarn Version) - UPDATED, NEW AND IMPROVED (11/23/11)

Materials:
Size 10 knitting needles
Cascade 109 LE Bulky (just under 1 skein) - This yarn is discontinued and sometimes hard to find--(I had some leftover from my Twilight mittens)--but any Bulky yarn will do. You can adjust the pattern for whatever yarn you choose.
Size J Crochet Hook (optional)*
Button

Guage: 5 st/inch (in the rib pattern)
My Final Measurements: 19.5" long and 5" wide at widest part (the length can be adjusted to fit your head size by adding or subtracting rows in the middle section where you're just doing rib and not increasing or decreasing)

Abbreviations:
m1B – From the back, lift loop between stitches with the left needle, purl into the front of loop
m1F – From the front, lift loop between stitches with left needle, knit into the back of loop
k3tog - knit 3 stitches together
p3tog - purl 3 stitches together 

You will begin with 7 stitches, increase on the middle stitch if the row has an odd number of stitches and between the middle 2 stitches if your row has an even number of stitches. You will increase on every RS row for 6.25”, knit in pattern 4.5”, then decrease back down--again, always on that middle stitch. So if you CO more or less, just always do your increases and decreases at the very center of the row. The easiest way to think about the knitting part of this pattern, is that you only ever do anything different to the stitches right in the center of  a row and the rest is always worked in the rib pattern. So the inc will be right in the center of the row, the dec, also right in the center of the row and everything else is always the rib. 

Directions:
CO 7 st
Row 1 (RS): K1, P1 rib across
Row 2 (WS): P1, K1 across
Row 3: Repeat row 1
Row 4: Repeat row 2

Begin the increase:
Row 5: K1, P1, K1, Pfb, K1, P1, K1 (8 st)
Row 6: P1, K1, P1, K2, P1, K1, P1 (you will have two knit stitches next to each other right in the very center of the row--this is fine as you will increase BETWEEN them on the next row.) 
Row 7: K1, P1, K1, P1, m1F, P1, K1, P1, K1 (9 st)
Row 8: Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches
Row 9: K1, P1, K1, P1, Kfb, P1, K1, P1, K1 (10 st)
Row 10: P1, K1, P1, K1, P2, K1, P1, K1, P1 (again, you will have two purl stitches next to each other right in the very center of the row, you will increase BETWEEN them on the next row) 
Row 11: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, m1B, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1 (11 st)
Row 12: Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches

Continue to increase in this manner until your work measures 6.25” from the cast on edge. You should have 23 stitches on the needle. (ETA: you are repeating the entire increase from rows 5-12 but just with more stitches to account for before and after the increase which is always right in the middle).

Work in the rib pattern for another 4.75” (until you have 11” from the cast on edge)

Begin the decrease:
Row 1 (RS): [K1, P1] 5x, k3tog, [P1, K1] 5x (21 st)

Row 2 (WS): Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches
Row 3 (RS): Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches 

Row 4 (WS): Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches
Row 5 (RS): K1, [P1, K1] 4x, P3tog, [K1, P1]  4x, K1
Row 6 (WS): Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches 

Row 7 (RS): Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches
Row 8 (WS): Work in the rib pattern across all the stitches

Continue to decrease in this manner—every other RS row k3tog or p3tog--until you have 7 stitches on the needle. Ending with 4 rows of knitting in the rib pattern. BO leaving the last stitch on the needle.

Crochet Edging*:
Transfer this stitch to a crochet hook. Chain 4-6 stitches and connect them to the beginning of the BO edge (this makes the button loop so size it according to the size of your button). Now start crocheting around the edge. I did 1 single crochet stitch in every st along the edge. Go all the way around the headband, then around the button loop. Secure and cut yarn and tie off. Weave in all ends.

*The entire crochet border is optional. It gives the edge a bit of a decorative look. But the headband looks fine without it. If you choose not to do it, you may want to add a few more stitches to begin with to make the headband wider and knit a few extra rows in the center to make it a bit longer. You’ll also need to make a buttonhole on the row before your bind off.

For The Flower (Crochet):
Large (5 Petal) Flower - Using a J hook, chain 10, join with a SS into first ch to form a ring.
1st Round - (Ch 3, 1 sc into ring) do this 5 times. Join with a sc into first st.
2nd Round - Into each chain loop work 1 sc, 1 hdc, 6 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc. Fasten off.
Smaller (4 Petal) Flower - Using a J hook, chain 4, join with a ss into first st.
1st Round - (Ch 3, 1 sc into ring) do this 4 times. Join with a sc into first st.
2nd Round - Into each chain loop work 1 sc, 1 hdc, 4 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc. Fasten off.

Bobble for center (knitted) - with size 10 knitting needles, CO 1, kfb until you have 4 stitches, k 1 row, p 1 row, k 1 row, p 1 row, k 1 row, do not turn, lift second stitch over the first, then the third and then the fourth, fasten off first stitch. Tie the ends together using the tails, stuff a little if desired (I just used one of the tails) and sew around the edges a bit if needed to form the bobble.
Layer the flower together and attach to the head wrap

**PLEASE NOTE - I AM NOT A CROCHETER SO I DO NOT HAVE A CROCHET VERSION OF THE PATTERN.

61 comments:

  1. I am going to make this headband. Love it. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need a quick answer PLEASE>>
    working on the new improved headband with chunky yarn..
    After row 12. the pattern says to remain to increase...
    my question is from what row? Is it from row 5 to 12?
    would love a solution, I am having a brainblockage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the pattern! Exactly what I was looking for as a Christmas gift to my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I print this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a great pattern! I've gotten so many complements on my headband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anonymous,

    If you do a print preview of this post and note how many pages are the actual pattern (with my printer it's just the first 2 pages), then print just those pages. If you find that doesn't work, send me your e-mail address and I can send you a Word doc.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Wannabee,
    You're going to continue increasing on the middle stitch if the row has an odd number of stitches OR between the middle 2 stitches if your row has an even number of stitches. You will increase on every RS row. So all the other stitches are just the rib pattern, I just didn't write it out for EVERY row after that since the only differences are ever in the middle stitches.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love this!! You are so great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too say thanks for this pattern. I have been searching, to no avail, for a crochet version. I also have to confess to being a lousy knitter with needles, soooooo I modified your pattern to work on a knitting loom/board. It really went fast and does look just like the ones they want $20+ for in the boutiques. Thanks for your willingness to share. My neices are going to love me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gonna try this one today! :) Thanks for the pattern. I'm an O.G. crocheter, when I'm done with this, if it can be crocheted, I will try to work up a pattern and let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou for sharing your pattern
    ! A young lady got on my bus with a similar earwrap this morning...I googled knit earwarmer...and lo and behold, viola a pattern! Thanks again for sharing, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is the length supposed to be for this? I made one and it is too short. Wondering if I missed something?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mommafo, what is an O.G. crocheter?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the confusion on "continue to work in the increase" is coming from the fact that several increase stiches are used (pfb, kfb, m1f, m1b) - After row 12, I'm confused as to what increase to continue working with. I understand the whole odd vs. even row, but what stitch should we be using to increase? pfb? kfb? are we repeating the entire increase from rows 5-12 but just with more stitches to account for?

    ReplyDelete
  16. "are we repeating the entire increase from rows 5-12 but just with more stitches to account for?"

    Yes! That's the perfect way to say it. I'm going to add that into the pattern.

    Thanks anonymous.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holly B,

    My finished measurements were 19.5" long and 5" wide at widest part which fits my head. If you feel like you need more, add length in the middle section where you're not inc or dec.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  18. My result looks nothing like the picture at all so far. It looks as though I've just been knitting the whole way up. Could it just be that I'm purling incorrectly?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not a crocheter, so have had some trouble making the flower. Do you have more detailed directions or perhaps a video that I could look at? Thanks for any help in this matter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Anonymous,
    The ribbing definitely becomes more noticeable once you wear it. While you're knitting the purl stitches do tend to get lost in-between the knit stitches. Just as they do in any k1/p1 rib.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Neverstop,
    I don't have any real tips or videos. I'm a very novice crocheter too. I just sort of make up that pattern as I went. There are other places, like ravelry or youtube, that may have a better flower patterns, explanations or videos. Sorry.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi love the headband and making it as we speak, :) On row 7 when u say m1F is that stitch the same as m1k? also the m1B is that the same stitch m1p. There are so many different stitches and i want to make sure I'm doing it rite. thanks so much for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi its me again, actually i think i just figured it out...i think??
    M1f is the same stitch as M1L and
    M1B is the same stitch as the m1R... right.? first time knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Auntie Annie you mentioned that you modified the pattern to make this headband on a loom....very interested in obtaining the pattern for my sister who loves these but does not knit or crochet - she's a wiz at the loom though. Would you consider sharing it here? or sending me an email? rczaplew@gmail.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just got the head wrap with out a button. Someone told me there is supposed to be a loop that the flower goes through but I don't know where to look for it. Plz help me lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous,
    I'm not sure I understand your question. The flower is sewn on although some people have attached it with a button. But the button loop is at one end and is how you secure it in the back.

    I have added a picture of the headwrap laid flat on my kitchen table. That may help with some of the confusion. I hope.

    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the pattern but i am having some problems with the decrease. I actually followed your other pattern where you cast on 9. When i decrease i had problems with row 1 & 5. for example on one of the rows I ribed 7 and then K2tog, PFB, and then K2tog again. But when i would go to do row 2 and i would have 6 ribed then 2 knits, 2 purls, 2 knits, and then the 6 rib. I don't know what im doing wrong to get the two knits together. i ended up pulling it out to the 11' mark. But i wwas wondering if you could help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey,im having some trouble opening the link for the pattern...Any suggestions?thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Help! On row 9 I have increased a stitch per the Kfb to 10 stitches. But then row 10 only says what to do with 9 of the stitches...please help! Love the headband by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear anonymous from 1/1/12,
    FYI Everyone else reading this: THIS APPLIES TO THE OLD VERSION OF THE PATTERN, NOT THE NEW ONE!!

    The next rows after that decrease row you just work in the rib, but (ONLY!!) the very two center stitches will be the same stitches. The rest is worked in the rib. Ignore what they look like and just do the rib. I promise it will be fine. And then on the next dec row, you'll k or p those double stitches in the center tog.
    ---Tif

    Dear anonymous from 1/2/12,
    Not sure I understand your issue. If you can get to the comments, I think you should be able to see the blog entry that has the pattern. Am I not understanding your question? If all else fails, send me your e-mail address and I can send you a Word document.
    ---Tif

    Dear other anonymous from 1/2/12,
    One stitch was left off the pattern, it has been fixed now. But just so you know besides inc. and dec. in the center of the rows, your other stitches are always just worked in the rib.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  31. For a crochet version see Jennlikesyarn.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This pattern is awesome. However, I am ending up with seed stitch from the beginning. I am misreading this puppy somehow...I'm not getting the rib pattern you're referring to throughout the pattern...help!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear RobinTinCT,
    As long as you CO an odd number and are following the pattern, you should have the rib. Not sure what else to tell you except, just knit the knits and purl the purls and you'll get the rib.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  34. my confusion is self-inflicted ;)

    in Row 1, do I simply K1 P1 all the way across?


    Row 1: Row 1 (RS): K1, P1 rib across
    Row 2 (WS): P1, K1 across

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm a doof - and you'd think I"d get the obvious - sat in the daylight and pattern worked like a charm. awesome and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Tif!
    I have just made my earwarmer using your pattern (found via Ravelry). But I made an other type of flower for it. Your pattern worked perfectly :)
    Thank you for sharing!
    Love,
    Hanni
    Ps.: I shared my project on my blog and linked back to your site.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for the pattern. It was the simplest one i have found.
    I have already made two and the second time was even easier.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't understand row 5. What does pfb mean?

    ReplyDelete
  39. pfb means purl front and back
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  40. I made this and I love the pattern, it's great! However, I am a terrible crocheter. Just awful. I tried to do the boarder but it's curling up strangely and does not look cute like yours. Do I need a bigger hook?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Alisha,
    I'm honestly a very novice crocheter myself. I'm not sure why it would curl. Anybody out there have any ideas?

    I wonder if you need to block the item when you're done? That may help.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  42. Possibly? I'm going to try moving up to a K hook and then see if it has any effect. The knit part is so cute, I just hate crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love it but I am not as good at crocheting as I am at knitting. I want to make the larger flower but I am confused on the second round. I don't know what to attach where. Help this first time crocheter out!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I've never crocheted before so I'm a bit confused on the flower. For the large one on the second round, what does it mean when it says "Into each chain loop?" Which loop is the chain loop?

    ReplyDelete
  45. My daughter loves her headbands! I surprised her with one which she now wears everyday. Loves saying her 'momma made it' when people ask where she got it.

    I don't crochet but found it easy enough to do an easy ruffled beginner flower from a video on youtube.

    She wants more more more headbands for Christmas.

    Thank you for the fantastic pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous,
    Think of the center as the center of the flower. Then those 5 (Ch 3, 1 sc into ring) that you do are the petals. They are the chain loops. So then on round 2 you work the rest of the petals into each of those 5 chain loops.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am nearly through with this headband and right now I have 13 stitches on my needle and I am on the knit decrease row.
    I don't know when I ended up with an odd number but I dont feel like frogging my work. How would you suggest I fix it? THANK YOU SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  49. OK I just realized that I am supposed to have 13 stitches LOL obviously 7 is an odd number.
    BUT this row is confusing me anyway -- It looks like this :
    K P K P K K3t P K P K P
    So I am ending on Purl and there are to Knits together.
    The only thing I could think I was supposed to do would be to put a Knit stitch after the decrease also. Sorry for all the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Katrina,
    Honestly, it's been so long since I've made one of these, I'm not entirely sure. The best advice I have is always look at the row above and let that be your guide. If the stitch after the decrease needs to be a K to keep the rib, do it as a K. If it's a P, do a purl.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  51. Can you tell me how to go about making the button hole (band) at the one end. Thanks for the great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Murphzmom,

    You make the button hole loop when you're doing the crochet border.

    It's at the end of the pattern:

    Crochet Edging*:
    Transfer this stitch to a crochet hook. Chain 4-6 stitches and connect them to the beginning of the BO edge (this makes the button loop so size it according to the size of your button). Now start crocheting around the edge. I did 1 single crochet stitch in every st along the edge. Go all the way around the headband, then around the button loop. Secure and cut yarn and tie off. Weave in all ends.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Perfect, easy pattern ! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks for the pattern! I thought it was really easy to follow. The only thing I changed was I did a slip stitch around the edge in stead of the single crochet. I like the look of the finished edge a lot better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love this pattern and just want to thank you for sharing it and for being so patient with all the new or beginner knitters out there! It is easy if you have worked with patterns but some people are more 'hands on' and have trouble following written instructions. I teach both knit and crochet & found this to be a good beginner/adv. beginner project. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Jocelyn,
    Thank you for your kind words! I really think this is a pattern that sounds more complicated than it is and once you dive in you see it's pretty simple. It's also such a small project that if you have to frog back some, it's not a huge deal. I had to frog one back (I was almost finished) all the way to the middle to add some length, but still it only added an hour or so to the total project time.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I am going to make some of these for my granddaughter (in the Boston area - she needs them!) but need one additional piece of information. There are two things I don't see in your abbreviations: Pfb and Kfb. They seem to increase the number of stitches in a row, but what do they mean?

    ReplyDelete
  58. Solveig,

    kfb and pfb are knit front and back and purl front and back. They each increase 1 stitch to 2.
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete
  59. would it ok to use this pattern to make headbands for charity?2

    ReplyDelete
  60. Would it be ok to use pattern to knit headbands to sell for or give to charity?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Denise,
    Sure, that would be fine with me!
    ---Tif

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails